Visit Duba Concession, Botswana
Duba Concession, Botswana
Driving over the rickety wooden bridge, glassy water and crocodiles underneath, you enter the Duba Plains.
Sweeping yellow grasses, interspersed with wild date palms, pink hippo grass and gray termite mounds stretch endlessly to a vast horizon. The air is still and there’s an eerie silence, broken only by the roar of distant lion. Then, in the distance you see clouds of dust rising up from the grasslands. Oxpeckers and egrets flutter in the air. Dark shapes take form, the grass crackles and a thousand-strong herd of buffalo comes into sight. Welcome to the Duba Concession, the land of the buffalo and lion.
Wildlife of the Duba Concession
Duba Plains is home to Botswana’s largest herds of buffalo. Thousands are in residence, while more migrate in during the low water, so they are never far away. It is also home to Africa’s densest lion population, with anything between around three and six prides protecting their territories at any one time: the frequent battles that result make for unforgettable game-viewing. On day and night game drives the opportunity to photograph lion watching, stalking, and sometimes even killing buffalo is ever present. It’s superb for close up photography and a breathtaking wildlife experience.
The Duba concession is in the far northern reaches of the Okavango Delta. As well as lion and buffalo, there is a variety of plains game and good population of spotted hyena. The concession is owned by the local Okavango communities, from which most of the guides and camp staff are recruited, and staying here you are in the hands of experts.
With just one camp, the concession is as remote as it is wild and however long you stay, it will never be enough.
Map of Duba Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Duba Concession
- The Okavango Delta 25 miles away
- Sepupa 27 miles away
- Jao Concession 33 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 35 miles away
- The Panhandle 38 miles away
- Abu Concession 43 miles away
- Chief's Island 45 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 47 miles away
- Xigera Concession 48 miles away
- Kwando Concession 53 miles away
- Shinde Concession 60 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 60 miles away
- Selinda Concession 65 miles away
- Kwara Concession 69 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 69 miles away
- Xudum Concession 70 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 73 miles away
- Khwai Concession 76 miles away
- Stanleys Concession 80 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 84 miles away
- Maun 96 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 101 miles away
- Savuti Area 101 miles away
- Chobe National Park 131 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 165 miles away
- Central Kalahari 184 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 185 miles away
- Ghanzi 201 miles away
Accommodation choices for Duba Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Duba Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.