Visit the Panhandle, Botswana
When the Okavango River enters Botswana it flows for about 70 kilometers before fanning out into the Okavango Delta.
Wildlife of the Okavango Panhandle
This deep channel, with its side streams, lagoons and swamps is known as the Okavango Panhandle. This is a little known area, but a real gem. There are stretches of open water ways, papyrus, common reeds and carpets of water-lilies.
The area is ideal for animals such as sitatunga, lechwe, crocodile and hippo. It is a birder’s paradise with king fishers, bee-eaters, cormorants, darters, jacanas, herons and skimmers in abundance. It is a particularly good spot to see the Pel’s fishing owl.
Off the beaten track
The Panhandle is not usually reached on a fly-in safari but is ideally suited to a circular self-drive safari combing Namibia and Botswana.
It is ideally suited to those people wanting to see areas that nearly all tourists never go to. You can drive to the lodges where you’ll leave your car and explore the wilderness by 4WD and boats.
Map of the Panhandle
Places & hotels on the map
Places near the Panhandle
- Sepupa 12 miles away
- Duba Concession 38 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 60 miles away
- Jao Concession 69 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 73 miles away
- Abu Concession 78 miles away
- Kwando Concession 78 miles away
- Chief's Island 82 miles away
- Xigera Concession 84 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 84 miles away
- Selinda Concession 92 miles away
- Shinde Concession 96 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 96 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 103 miles away
- Kwara Concession 105 miles away
- Xudum Concession 105 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 105 miles away
- Khwai Concession 111 miles away
- Stanley's Concession 117 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 121 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 126 miles away
- Savuti Area 128 miles away
- Maun 132 miles away
- Chobe National Park 161 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 202 miles away
- Ghanzi 215 miles away
- Central Kalahari 215 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 222 miles away