Visit the Okavango Delta, Botswana
Splayed across the north of Botswana like a fan, the Okavango Delta is a watery wilderness filled to the brim with wildlife. Huge herds of elephant traipse down to the water’s edge, submerging themselves and rolling on the muddy banks. Bee-eaters, fish eagles and pied kingfishers flit and swoop across the channels. And, in the long grasses, leopard, lion and wild dog share a common goal: to hunt, kill and eat. Our safari specialists, having visited many times, can advise on the best time to go, and where, for your Okavango Delta safari, based on the wildlife you most want to see.
While there’s water in most areas of the delta year-round, it reaches peak levels between April and October. Water flows south from Angola’s highlands, feeding the Okavango’s rivers and channels to form the largest inland delta in the world. With a guide, you can navigate these waters by mokoro (traditional canoe) or motorboat, looking out for hippo pods and crocodiles.
Our safari specialists have explored each of the private concessions that make up the delta and can help you decide on the best places to stay. From your tented camp or intimate lodge, you can head out on twice-daily game drives, often staying after dark.
Places to visit in the Okavango Delta
Featuring heavily on our experiences of visiting the Okavango Delta, these selected places are destinations that also prove consistently popular with our travelers. Our specialists can help you choose how to include them in your wider trip, based on your preferences.
Suggested itineraries featuring the Okavango Delta
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in the Okavango Delta, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of the Okavango Delta
Places & hotels on the map
Places in and around the Okavango Delta
- Abu Concession The Okavango Delta
- Chief's Island The Okavango Delta
- Chitabe Concession The Okavango Delta
- Duba Concession The Okavango Delta
- Ghanzi The Okavango Delta
- Gunn's Concession The Okavango Delta
- Jao Concession The Okavango Delta
- Khwai Concession The Okavango Delta
- Kwara Concession The Okavango Delta
- Nxabega Concession The Okavango Delta
- Nxai Pan National Park The Okavango Delta
- Sepupa The Okavango Delta
- Shinde Concession The Okavango Delta
- Stanleys Concession The Okavango Delta
- Vumbura Concession The Okavango Delta
- Xigera Concession The Okavango Delta
- Xudum Concession The Okavango Delta
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 26 miles away
- Kwando Concession 59 miles away
- The Panhandle 60 miles away
- Selinda Concession 68 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 72 miles away
- Maun 72 miles away
- Savuti Area 101 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 103 miles away
- Chobe National Park 126 miles away
- Central Kalahari 160 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 164 miles away
Our expert guides to exploring the Okavango Delta
Written by our specialists from their own experiences of visiting the Okavango Delta, these guides will help you make the most of your time there. We share both our practical recommendations and the best ways to appreciate the Okavango Delta at its best.
Accommodation choices for the Okavango Delta
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit the Okavango Delta. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.