Visit Chief's Island, Botswana
Chief's Island is in the very centre of the Okavango Delta and one of its largest islands. Receiving flood waters every year there are fertile plains and a wide diversity of vegetation.
Open grasslands are interspersed with termite mounds and ilala palms. Marula trees, rain trees, leadwood and acacia are found in the mature woodlands whilst lagoons and wetlands have rich shoots, a favourite of grazers.
Wildlife of Chief's Island
Chief's Island is famous for its game concentrations and rightly so. There are many large herds of impala, red lechwe, zebra, wildebeest and buffalo whilst tsessebe, giraffe and reedbuck are also often seen. Warthogs seem to be everywhere, as do big troops of baboon, vervet monkeys and banded mongoose. The lagoons are home to surprisingly large crocodiles and a number of noisy hippos. You'll often find the elephants here, large breeding herds quenching their thirst.
The predators are excellent with many resident prides of lion and large packs of hyena. Cheetah can be found on the open plains whilst leopard are present in high densities but are often harder to spot.
On game drives there's always something to see, the photographic opportunities are endless so stay for a while to make the most of this magical island.
Suggested itineraries featuring Chief's Island
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Chief's Island, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Chief's Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Chief's Island
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve less than 5 miles away
- Xigera Concession 10 miles away
- Abu Concession 12 miles away
- Jao Concession 14 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 18 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 19 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 24 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 25 miles away
- Xudum Concession 29 miles away
- Shinde Concession 33 miles away
- Stanleys Concession 36 miles away
- Kwara Concession 41 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 41 miles away
- Duba Concession 45 miles away
- Khwai Concession 47 miles away
- Maun 52 miles away
- Kwando Concession 59 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 62 miles away
- Selinda Concession 63 miles away
- Sepupa 71 miles away
- The Panhandle 82 miles away
- Savuti Area 91 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 95 miles away
- Chobe National Park 110 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 124 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 141 miles away
- Central Kalahari 144 miles away
- Ghanzi 185 miles away
Photos of Chief's Island
Accommodation choices for Chief's Island
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Chief's Island. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Located on Chief's Island, one of the Delta's richest game areas, you can frequently view game without even leaving camp. Shaded from the heat of the day by a beautiful grove of trees, Chief's Camp is so remote you'll feel like the only person for miles.
Located on Chief’s Island in the Moremi Game Reserve Little Mombo is possibly one of Botswana's most famous camps. Perhaps most unusual aspect are the buffalo that sleep directly under your chalet.
Located on Chief’s Island in the Moremi Game Reserve Mombo Camp is possibly one of Botswana's most famous camps. It is certainly one of the most luxurious, recently having had a total rebuild into a very luxurious safari camp.