Visit Ghanzi, Botswana
Ghanzi, also known as 'the capital of the Kalahari' is one of Botswana most intriguing towns situated in the middle of nowhere and separated from the rest of the world by hundreds of kilometres of road.
Much of the landscape is pretty monotonous. For the most part the terrain is flat and featureless with some scrub bushes, thorn trees and grassland. In the summer the heat is sweltering, in winter the winter is made more tolerable by cooler temperatures. There is a certain beauty to be found in the eerie sunsets and in the deserts overwhelming canopy of stars. Once inhabited by the Bushmen who had perfected survival strategies for living in this inhospitable land, today there are over 200 cattle farms.
Not far from Ghanzi is an area known as the Kanana Wilderness which has game in abundance. Herds of over two hundred eland can be seen and other Kalahari species such as gemsbok, springbok, red hartebeest, blue wildebeest, kudu and zebra thrive, whilst giraffe, duiker, steenbok and warthog are all common. Predator species such as leopard, cheetah, wild dog, jackal, caracal, civet, brown and spotted hyena occur and although elusive, are occasionally encountered.
Birdlife, reptiles and the small mammals
The arid areas of Africa continue to surprise those whose interest is bird life, reptiles and the smaller mammals. The Kanana pan system attracts thousands of sand grouse together with flocks of guinea fowl and doves which in turn sustain the raptors - bateleur, marshal and other eagles, with vultures, goshawks and kestrels in close attendance.
Tortoise and other smaller and lesser known species are there to be discovered, with the giant ostrich overseeing this panoply.
Map of Ghanzi
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Ghanzi
- Central Kalahari 125 miles away
- Xudum Concession 163 miles away
- Maun 165 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 171 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 174 miles away
- Abu Concession 175 miles away
- Xigera Concession 176 miles away
- Stanleys Concession 181 miles away
- Jao Concession 184 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 185 miles away
- Chief's Island 185 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 185 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 195 miles away
- Duba Concession 201 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 201 miles away
- Sepupa 208 miles away
- Shinde Concession 214 miles away
- The Panhandle 215 miles away
- Kwara Concession 220 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 222 miles away
- Khwai Concession 224 miles away
- Kwando Concession 242 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 243 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 246 miles away
- Selinda Concession 247 miles away
- Savuti Area 273 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 278 miles away
- Chobe National Park 282 miles away