The Moremi Wildlife Reserve encompasses the central and eastern areas of the Okavango Delta.
Set aside by the BaTawana people in 1962, it has been well-protected and remains an untouched wilderness. Both flora and fauna are rich and diverse and it is one of Africa’s finest wildlife areas.
In the heart of the Delta there are tiny palm islands and myriad waterways covered in lilies. Dusky bream and silver squeaker fish can be seen in the clear waters whilst hippo and crocodile frequent the lagoons. The birdlife is abundant, with over 400 species, particularly colourful with coppery tailed coucals, malachite kingfishers and purple gallinules to name a few.
Moremi’s two large landmasses of Chief’s Island and the Mopane Tongue are good areas for big game. There are many varieties of antelope including waterbuck, kudu, tsessebe, wildebeest and zebra. Big herds of buffalo occur, breeding herds of elephant are frequent visitors to the water and warthog, giraffe and baboon are often seen.
Black and white rhino were re-introduced to Chief's Island a few years ago and are now thriving with several calves born in recent years. As you might expect with such abundant prey, predator sightings are excellent with lion, spotted hyena and leopard in good densities.
Suggested itineraries featuring Moremi Wildlife Reserve
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Moremi Wildlife Reserve, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Moremi Wildlife Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Moremi Wildlife Reserve
- Chief's Island less than 5 miles away
- Xigera Concession 10 miles away
- Abu Concession 14 miles away
- Jao Concession 17 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 17 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 20 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 23 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 26 miles away
- Xudum Concession 28 miles away
- Shinde Concession 31 miles away
- Stanleys Concession 34 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 39 miles away
- Kwara Concession 39 miles away
- Khwai Concession 45 miles away
- Duba Concession 47 miles away
- Maun 50 miles away
- Kwando Concession 59 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 62 miles away
- Selinda Concession 63 miles away
- Sepupa 73 miles away
- The Panhandle 84 miles away
- Savuti Area 90 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 94 miles away
- Chobe National Park 108 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 122 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 139 miles away
- Central Kalahari 143 miles away
- Ghanzi 185 miles away
Accommodation choices for Moremi Wildlife Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Moremi Wildlife Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Moremi Wildlife Reserve
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Moremi Wildlife Reserve, and which use the best local guides.