Visit Abu Concession, Botswana
In the southwest of the Okavango Delta, the Abu Concession encompasses deep blue channels and lagoons, verdant green floodplains and sandy islands with ilala and wild date palms.
Wildlife of the Abu Concession
The waters are covered in lilies and water lettuce whilst tiny reedfrogs cling to papyrus. Zebra, wildebeest, buffalo, and red lechwe splash through the water and elephants gather at waterholes and cross the channels to the palm islands.
The rich floodplains are home to large herds of red lechwe which are hunted by several prides of lion and leopards are often seen. It's one of the best places in Africa to search for the sitatunga and on the palm islands it's common to see elephant, baboon, tsessebe and bushbuck. Fruitbats erupt squeaking into the sky at dusk and as the night falls tiny bushbabies leap from tree to tree.
The birdlife is spectacular. Wattled cranes step through the lush grasses, saddle billed storks hunt for frogs and slaty egrets, black egrets and rufous bellied herons are easily seen. Then, there's the long crested eagle, Dickinson's kestrel and the red billed wood-hoopoe. From pink throated longclaws to Pel's fishing owl the list is endless.
Map of Abu Concession
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Abu Concession
- Xigera Concession 7 miles away
- Jao Concession 11 miles away
- Chief's Island 14 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 14 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 19 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 19 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 27 miles away
- Xudum Concession 28 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 29 miles away
- Stanley's Concession 42 miles away
- Duba Concession 43 miles away
- Shinde Concession 45 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 50 miles away
- Kwara Concession 53 miles away
- Maun 54 miles away
- Khwai Concession 59 miles away
- Sepupa 66 miles away
- Kwando Concession 67 miles away
- Selinda Concession 73 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 73 miles away
- The Panhandle 78 miles away
- Savuti Area 102 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 106 miles away
- Chobe National Park 122 miles away
- Nxai Pan National Park 133 miles away
- Central Kalahari 142 miles away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 147 miles away
- Ghanzi 175 miles away
Photos of Abu Concession
Accommodation choices for Abu Concession
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Abu Concession. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Seba has the most wonderful location and is perfect for those people who want an excellent safari experience well away from the Delta hotspots.
Situated on the western side of the Okavango Delta, Macatoo Camp has six large, walk-in tents spread through woodland. Activities from the camp include horseback safaris, game drives, night drives, bird walks and boating, canoeing and fishing, depending upon water levels.