Visit Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari, Botswana
The Makgadikgadi Pans is a place like none other. Mile upon mile of shimmering white salt pan stretches endlessly to the horizon.
Around the fringes, coarse grasses blow in the wind, ancient baobabs reach to the sky and vultures soar on the thermals. There are prehistoric beaches, Stone Age ruins and salty whirlwinds spinning over cracked earth.
Wildlife of the Makgadikgadi Pans
The pans are the relics of Africa's 'super-lake' that covered the Kalahari several million years ago and are littered with the fossils of the changing ecosystems that followed. Nowadays, the wildlife is both hardy and highly nomadic. Meerkats, mongooses, brown hyena, aardvark and aardwolf are present all year round. Secretary birds, ostrich and korhaans step through the grass and bateleurs soar overhead. When the rains arrive a dramatic change takes place. Pink clouds of flamingo come to feed, vast herds of zebra and wildebeest are found on the savannah and the sound of frogs fills the air.
Camps of the Makgadikgadi Pans
There are two small camps in the Makgadikgadi, and whether you stay in the dry or rainy season they both offer a unique Makgadikgadi experience You will have the opportunity to quad-bike across a saltpan with a kikoi on your head, lie on the desert floor looking for shooting stars and watch the earths shadow grow as the sun sets. A stay on the Makgadikgadi is always an experience you never forget.
Suggested itineraries featuring Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
- Nxai Pan National Park 43 miles away
- Maun 97 miles away
- Chitabe Concession 102 miles away
- Central Kalahari 104 miles away
- Stanleys Concession 106 miles away
- Gunn's Concession 119 miles away
- Khwai Concession 123 miles away
- Xudum Concession 123 miles away
- Kwara Concession 127 miles away
- Nxabega Concession 129 miles away
- Chobe National Park 130 miles away
- Shinde Concession 133 miles away
- Moremi Wildlife Reserve 139 miles away
- Xigera Concession 140 miles away
- Chief's Island 141 miles away
- Abu Concession 147 miles away
- Linyanti Concession 149 miles away
- Vumbura Concession 152 miles away
- Savuti Area 153 miles away
- Jao Concession 155 miles away
- Selinda Concession 161 miles away
- Linyanti Wetlands 162 miles away
- The Okavango Delta 164 miles away
- Kwando Concession 170 miles away
- Duba Concession 185 miles away
- Sepupa 211 miles away
- Ghanzi 222 miles away
- The Panhandle 222 miles away
- Gaborone 299 miles away
Photos of Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
Accommodation choices for Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Enjoying elevated views over the Boteti River, Meno A Kwena is a classic tented camp that harks back to early exploration. It offers a range of activities exploring the area’s wildlife, culture and landscape.
A simple bush camp filled with adventure, Camp Kalahari has a rustic, traditional feel reminiscent of the camps used by explorers of old. Staying in tented accommodation, you’ll have access to activities that make the most of the unique salt pan location.
Planet Baobab has eight en suite Bakalanga mud huts which have been inspired by the traditional homes of Botswana. All of these huts are different in style and design and have their own private veranda decorated with local artwork.