Visit Anticosti Island, Canada
Located in the mouth of the St. Lawrence River, Anticosti Island is over 200 kilometres long and 50 wide. Its lack of development has led it to become a haven for wildlife enthusiasts.
Anticosti Island, Canada
Located in the mouth of the St. Lawrence River, Anticosti Island is over 200 kilometres long and 50 wide.
Its deep forests, high cliffs, dramatic canyons, caves and waterfalls have only recently come to the attention of a few wildlife enthusiasts.
Wildlife of Anticosti Island
Originally used as hunting grounds for the indigenous peoples of mainland Québec, it became the private shooting reserve of Henri Ménier, a famous French chocolate maker whose business empire was to grow into Nestlé. Ironically, this protected the island from any form of development other than the small village of Port Ménier and there are now great areas of wildlife reserves where animals, including vast herds of white-tailed deer, have little fear of man.
Access is via plane from the Gaspésie Peninsula, though the lack of infrastructure necessitates the assistance of a guide and transport to appreciate the highlights of Vauréal Falls and the abundant wildlife.
Map of Anticosti Island
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Anticosti Island
- The Gaspé Peninsula 81 miles away
- Caraquet 149 miles away
- Îles de la Madeleine 155 miles away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 205 miles away
- West Point 208 miles away
- Cavendish 208 miles away
- Prince Edward Island 218 miles away
- Charlottetown 225 miles away
- Spry Point 226 miles away
- Ingonish 231 miles away
- Gros Morne National Park 235 miles away
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 236 miles away
- New Brunswick 239 miles away
- Deer Lake 253 miles away
- Pictou 264 miles away
- The Great Northern Peninsula 266 miles away
- Riverside-Albert 271 miles away
- Louisbourg 284 miles away
- Nova Scotia 293 miles away