Unique in North America, Québec is the continent’s only walled city.
Built by the French during the 17th century, Québec was the backdrop for the Anglo-French wars that culminated in General Wolfe’s victory in 1759 and the expulsion of the French from Canada.
Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the narrow cobbled streets wind steeply between Basse-Ville and Haute-Ville, which is crowned by the magnificent Château Frontenac. The city is a treasure trove of historic sites, including the Vieux Port, Battlefields Park, the Citadelle, Artillery Park and the Place Royale. The Rue du Trésor is famous for its artists, whilst the Terrasse Dufferin affords magnificent river views. Military history comes alive on the Plains of Abraham while Québec’s ecclesiastical heritage is evident in its beautiful churches.
Filled with romantic restaurants and unusual boutiques, this is a city to explore through river cruises, horse-drawn carriage rides and walking tours. These leisurely guided walks are particularly good and will help you get your bearings in Canada’s Gallic heartland.
Suggested itineraries featuring Québec City
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Québec City, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Québec City
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Québec City
- La Malbaie 124 kilometers away
- Charlevoix & Saguenay - Lac St. Jean 134 kilometers away
- Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve 154 kilometers away
- Eastern Townships 186 kilometers away
- Montréal 233 kilometers away
- Laurentian Mountains 270 kilometers away
- Mont Tremblant 270 kilometers away
- Saint Andrews by the Sea 377 kilometers away
- Ottawa 379 kilometers away
- Québec 383 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 388 kilometers away
- Saint John 434 kilometers away
- The Bay of Fundy 449 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 479 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Québec City
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Québec City. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Québec City
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Québec City, and which use the best local guides.