Visit La Malbaie, Canada
La Malbaie ("Bad Bay") is so called because Samuel de Champlain ran aground here in 1608. The village and the surrounding region of the Charlevoix is steeped in early French colonial history which continues to influence life here today.
The town is situated at the confluence of the Malbaie and St. Lawrence rivers and it was the rivers that brought the steamers in in the early years of the twentieth century. These in turn brought wealthy visitors from Toronto, New York and further afield, and promoted La Malbaie as an affluent recreational region early on.
Things to see and do
La Malbaie is ideally located for exploring the delightful surrounding countryside and the spectacular Saguenay Fjord. In addition, the Parc des Hautes Gorges de la Rivière Malbaie is a highlight of the area, as is whale watching at nearby Tadoussac.
If you are staying in La Malbaie, do visit the fascinating museum of Charlevoix then take a walk along the waterfront at Pointe au Pic to the Rue du Quai, an area of colourful renovated historic wooden houses. Then take the steep steps up to the grandiose Le Manoir Richelieu, a wonderful place for a drink on the terrace overlooking the ever-changing waters of the St Lawrence.
At nearby Sainte Irénée, the Domaine Forget is a not - for - profit music and dance establishment. Renowned for Sunday brunch concerts overlooking the St. Lawrence River, they also offer evening events throughout the year.
Map of La Malbaie
Places & hotels on the map
Places near La Malbaie
- Charlevoix & Saguenay - Lac St. Jean 13 kilometers away
- Québec City 124 kilometers away
- Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve 255 kilometers away
- Eastern Townships 301 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 321 kilometers away
- Québec 331 kilometers away
- Montréal 355 kilometers away
- Saint Andrews by the Sea 375 kilometers away
- Laurentian Mountains 377 kilometers away
- Mont Tremblant 377 kilometers away
- Caraquet 390 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 406 kilometers away
- Saint John 411 kilometers away
- The Bay of Fundy 434 kilometers away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 441 kilometers away
- West Point 453 kilometers away
- Riverside-Albert 465 kilometers away
- Annapolis Royal 483 kilometers away