Visit Moremi Wildlife Reserve, Botswana
The Moremi Wildlife Reserve encompasses the central and eastern areas of the Okavango Delta.
Set aside by the BaTawana people in 1962, it has been well-protected and remains an untouched wilderness. Both flora and fauna are rich and diverse and it is one of Africa’s finest wildlife areas.
In the heart of the Delta there are tiny palm islands and myriad waterways covered in lilies. Dusky bream and silver squeaker fish can be seen in the clear waters whilst hippo and crocodile frequent the lagoons. The birdlife is abundant, with over 400 species, particularly colourful with coppery tailed coucals, malachite kingfishers and purple gallinules to name a few.
Moremi’s two large landmasses of Chief’s Island and the Mopane Tongue are good areas for big game. There are many varieties of antelope including waterbuck, kudu, tsessebe, wildebeest and zebra. Big herds of buffalo occur, breeding herds of elephant are frequent visitors to the water and warthog, giraffe and baboon are often seen.
Black and white rhino were re-introduced to Chief's Island a few years ago and are now thriving with several calves born in recent years. As you might expect with such abundant prey, predator sightings are excellent with lion, spotted hyena and leopard in good densities.
Suggested itineraries featuring Moremi Wildlife Reserve
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Moremi Wildlife Reserve, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Moremi Wildlife Reserve
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Moremi Wildlife Reserve. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Moremi Wildlife Reserve
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Moremi Wildlife Reserve, and which use the best local guides.
Map of Moremi Wildlife Reserve
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Moremi Wildlife Reserve
- Chief's Island less than 5 kilometers away
- Xigera Concession 16 kilometers away
- Abu Concession 22 kilometers away
- Jao Concession 27 kilometers away
- Nxabega Concession 28 kilometers away
- Vumbura Concession 32 kilometers away
- Gunn's Concession 37 kilometers away
- The Okavango Delta 42 kilometers away
- Xudum Concession 45 kilometers away
- Shinde Concession 50 kilometers away
- Stanleys Concession 54 kilometers away
- Chitabe Concession 62 kilometers away
- Kwara Concession 63 kilometers away
- Khwai Concession 73 kilometers away
- Duba Concession 76 kilometers away
- Maun 81 kilometers away
- Kwando Concession 95 kilometers away
- Linyanti Concession 99 kilometers away
- Selinda Concession 101 kilometers away
- Sepupa 117 kilometers away
- The Panhandle 135 kilometers away
- Savuti Area 144 kilometers away
- Linyanti Wetlands 151 kilometers away
- Chobe National Park 174 kilometers away
- Nxai Pan National Park 196 kilometers away
- Makgadikgadi Pans, Kalahari 223 kilometers away
- Central Kalahari 230 kilometers away
- Ghanzi 298 kilometers away