Visit San Gerardo de Dota, Costa Rica
The sleepy hamlet of San Gerardo de Dota is about three hours south of San Jose and is famous amongst the world's bird-watching community, with year-round sightings of the Resplendent Quetzal.
This is a much quieter alternative to other areas of cloud-forest in Costa Rica. It is a very peaceful, fairly isolated place and any visit here should be to focus on the beautiful environment and bird-life - purely enjoying your surroundings in simple but comfortable cloud-forest lodges.
Activities that can be arranged include walking, horse-riding and trout-fishing trips, making San Gerardo de Dota a wonderful place to stay for a couple of nights.
Suggested San Gerardo de Dota itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in San Gerardo de Dota, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of San Gerardo de Dota
Places & hotels on the map
Places near San Gerardo de Dota
- Dominical 36 kilometers away
- Turrialba 40 kilometers away
- Manuel Antonio 43 kilometers away
- San José & Central Valley 52 kilometers away
- Central Pacific Coast 58 kilometers away
- Esterillos 78 kilometers away
- El Silencio Lodge 91 kilometers away
- San Ramon 94 kilometers away
- Corcovado & Osa Peninsula 100 kilometers away
- Tortuguero & the Caribbean Coast 102 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui 102 kilometers away
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca 116 kilometers away
- Manzanillo 126 kilometers away
- Monteverde Cloud Forest 133 kilometers away
- Northern Pacific Coast 136 kilometers away
- Arenal Volcano & the Cloudforest Reserves 141 kilometers away
- Punta Islita 179 kilometers away
- Tenorio Volcano 182 kilometers away
- Cano Negro 184 kilometers away
- Rincon de la Vieja 219 kilometers away
- Tamarindo 238 kilometers away
- Playa Potrero 238 kilometers away
- Golfo de Papagayo 255 kilometers away
Photos of San Gerardo de Dota
Accommodation choices for San Gerardo de Dota
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit San Gerardo de Dota. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Also known as Cabinas Chacon, the Savegre Mountain Hotel is located in San Gerardo de Dota, in the Talamanca mountains of Costa Rica. It offers comfortable accommodation and excellent wildlife-spotting opportunities.
A friendly and stylish lodge with spectacular views and knowledgeable staff, the Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge is a joy for visitors staying in this part of beautiful San Gerardo de Dota.
Ideas for experiencing San Gerardo de Dota
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting San Gerardo de Dota, and which use the best local guides.
The famous Resplendent Quetzal is seen in San Gerardo de Dota year round but April and May are the best months to spot the striking birds.