Lunenburg is one of Nova Scotia’s most historic towns, captivating visitors with its colourful waterfront, narrow streets and old wooden buildings.
This pretty town, lying on a narrow peninsula, was established by the British in 1753 as their first and only colonial settlement in Nova Scotia outside Halifax.
Architecture of Lunenburg
The early settlers, from various parts of Europe, created a vibrant and stable economy built on farming, fishing, ship building and ocean-based commerce. Even now Lunenburg combines a healthy economy with a rich historical legacy, manifesting itself in brightly-painted wooden buildings that clamber up from the main harbour, ringed by an eclectic mix of old wooden churches and mansions.
UNESCO World Heritage Site
Today the town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and its principal attraction is the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic which houses a great aquarium, the record-breaking schooner Bluenose, and Theresa E. Connor, the last salt-bank schooner to fish from Lunenburg. Visitors can relive past glories by sailing on Bluenose II, a replica of the original vessel.
There are some excellent craft shops, art galleries and restaurants here: be sure to try the two local specialities, Solomon Grundy – marinated herrings with sour cream – and Lunenburg Sausage.
Suggested itineraries featuring Lunenburg
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Lunenburg, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lunenburg
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lunenburg
- Halifax 42 miles away
- Annapolis Royal 65 miles away
- The Bay of Fundy 95 miles away
- Riverside-Albert 98 miles away
- Saint John 106 miles away
- Nova Scotia 109 miles away
- Liscomb Mills 118 miles away
- Pictou 120 miles away
- Charlottetown 141 miles away
- Saint Andrews by the Sea 143 miles away
- Prince Edward Island 145 miles away
- Cavendish 154 miles away
- West Point 156 miles away
- Charlos Cove 159 miles away
- Spry Point 161 miles away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 172 miles away
- New Brunswick 186 miles away
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 222 miles away
- Caraquet 237 miles away
- Îles de la Madeleine 237 miles away
- Louisbourg 238 miles away
- Ingonish 246 miles away
Accommodation choices for Lunenburg
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lunenburg. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.