The capital of Nova Scotia, Halifax is the largest city in the Atlantic provinces and set on the world’s second-largest natural harbour.
The compact city centre, dominated by the Citadel and its adjacent clock tower, is easy to navigate on foot.
Along the waterfront you’ll find plenty of excellent seafood restaurants and several micro-breweries as well as the Historic Properties, a collection of boutique shops in restored maritime warehouses.
The harbour is always busy with ferries that ply across to Dartmouth on the other side, and during the summer season the schooner Bluenose II, a symbol of the province, is often moored here.
In 1912 the Titanic sank to the east of here and memorabilia from the wreck is on display at the city’s superb Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, along with a collection of brightly-coloured ships’ figureheads. Many local cemeteries bear testimony to the disaster but these days Halifax is very much a living society, with plenty of live music bars and a thriving theatre scene.
Suggested itineraries featuring Halifax
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Halifax, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Halifax
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Halifax
- Lunenburg 42 miles away
- Nova Scotia 68 miles away
- Liscomb Mills 77 miles away
- Pictou 83 miles away
- Riverside-Albert 95 miles away
- Annapolis Royal 96 miles away
- Charlottetown 113 miles away
- Charlos Cove 118 miles away
- Prince Edward Island 119 miles away
- The Bay of Fundy 124 miles away
- Spry Point 126 miles away
- Cavendish 128 miles away
- Saint John 130 miles away
- West Point 143 miles away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 165 miles away
- Saint Andrews by the Sea 173 miles away
- Cape Breton & Cabot Trail 182 miles away
- New Brunswick 191 miles away
- Louisbourg 197 miles away
- Îles de la Madeleine 205 miles away
- Ingonish 207 miles away
- Caraquet 226 miles away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 293 miles away
Accommodation choices for Halifax
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Halifax. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Halifax
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Halifax, and which use the best local guides.