Visit Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, Australia
Lake St Clair and Cradle Mountain are two iconic elements of this Tasmanian World Heritage area. The scenery is awe-inspiring, as eucalyptus forests give way to mountain scenery reminiscent of Scotland’s finest.
Whether taking a gentle walk around the enchanting Dove Lake, a summit walk to Cradle Mountain peak or even indulging in the six- to eight-day ‘Overland Track’ from Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair, you are highly likely to encounter wallabies, wombats and possums at close quarters.
As well as the walking, you can visit the Waldheim Hut, home to pioneer conservationist Gustav Weindorfer, and the Wilderness Photography Gallery, experience bountiful fly-fishing and horse riding, and even see the wilderness from the air, on a spectacular flight across lakes and peaks from Cradle Valley.
Suggested Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Accommodation choices for Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Map of Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park
- Deloraine 63 kilometers away
- Strahan & Gordon River 71 kilometers away
- Tasmania 78 kilometers away
- Launceston 105 kilometers away
- Mount Field National Park 116 kilometers away
- Stanley 120 kilometers away
- Richmond 167 kilometers away
- Huon Valley 172 kilometers away
- Hobart 173 kilometers away
- Swansea 182 kilometers away
- Maria Island National Park 203 kilometers away
- Freycinet National Park 204 kilometers away
- Port Arthur 223 kilometers away
- Wilsons Promontory National Park 312 kilometers away
- Phillip Island 367 kilometers away
- The Great Ocean Road 381 kilometers away
- Apollo Bay 384 kilometers away
- Mornington Peninsula 391 kilometers away
- Queenscliff 400 kilometers away
- The Shipwreck Coast 415 kilometers away
- Walhalla 423 kilometers away
- The Gippsland Lakes 431 kilometers away
- Melbourne 440 kilometers away
- Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges 455 kilometers away
- Metung 456 kilometers away