Visit Lake Nakuru, Kenya
The first thing you will see approaching Lake Nakuru is a roseate cloud along the shoreline.
Lake Nakuru's famous pink flamingos
As you approach the pink mass it turns into the shapes of birds, millions of flamingos. It is one of the sights you associate with East Africa and a spectacle of immense beauty.
The waters of Lake Nakuru are rich in blue-green algae and diatoms that lesser flamingos feed on. Together with them, it is possible to see up to 400 species of birds: hundreds of pelicans, spoonbills, yellowbilled storks and more.
Wildlife of Lake Nakuru
Surrounding the lake, a game reserve has been created. Black rhino are protected here and can be seen along with Bohor reed-buck, defassa waterbuck, Rothschild giraffe, lion and hyena.
The lake and surrounds make an ideal overnight stop en route to the Mara or the Aberdares or a perfect spot for a picnic lunch.
Suggested Lake Nakuru itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Lake Nakuru, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Lake Nakuru
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Lake Nakuru
- Lakes of the Great Rift Valley less than 5 kilometers away
- Lake Naivasha 54 kilometers away
- Sosian Ranch 99 kilometers away
- Ol Pejeta Conservancy 100 kilometers away
- The Laikipia Plateau 110 kilometers away
- Nairobi 131 kilometers away
- Loisaba Wilderness Conservancy 144 kilometers away
- Mara Naboisho Conservancy 144 kilometers away
- Mara North Conservancy 146 kilometers away
- Loita Hills 147 kilometers away
- Ol Lentille Conservancy 150 kilometers away
- Il Ngwesi Group Ranch 158 kilometers away
- Lewa Wilderness Conservancy 165 kilometers away
- Masai Mara National Reserve 173 kilometers away
- Borana Ranch 175 kilometers away
- Karisia Hills 179 kilometers away
- Shompole Magadi 190 kilometers away
- Samburu National Reserve 194 kilometers away
- Matthews Mountain Range 220 kilometers away
- Lake Victoria 221 kilometers away
- Shaba National Reserve 228 kilometers away
- Meru National Park 237 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Northern Kenya 244 kilometers away
- Amboseli National Park 277 kilometers away
- The Chyulu Hills 313 kilometers away
- Tsavo West National Park 397 kilometers away
- Parks & Reserves of Southern Kenya 397 kilometers away
- Tsavo East National Park 405 kilometers away
- Kenya's Northern Frontier 476 kilometers away
Photos of Lake Nakuru
Accommodation choices for Lake Nakuru
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Lake Nakuru. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Tucked away in The Great Rift Valley, on the private 6,400 acre Congreve Conservancy, Mbweha is nestled up against the southern border of Lake Nakuru National Park.