Plettenberg Bay, towards the eastern end of the Garden Route, is a playground for South Africa’s wealthy holidaymakers. There are many activities available as well as lots of great restaurants.
Plettenberg Bay spreads across the hills, overlooking the bay of the same name, and steep streets lead down to cliffs with spectacular views: whales (in season) and dolphins cruise the waters between white sandy beaches and the plunging cliffs of the Tsitsikamma Mountains.
The town extends down on to the beaches that stretch away in both directions. South lies the Robberg Peninsula, a headland of steep cliffs and rocky shores protected by a reserve, while to the north, you will find Keurbooms Beach, sheltering a lagoon formed by the Keurbooms River.
For a bite to eat at lunch, it is worth trying Enrico’s restaurant on Keurbooms Beach, which serves excellent seafood. If you are looking for something a little closer, then the Lemon Tree is also worth a visit (although mainly for its wonderful views), or the Lookout which, as its name suggests, is right on the water’s edge.
For a special meal, then why not book a table at Emily’s, which is about five minutes’ drive outside Plettenberg Bay, or Zinzi, which is nine kilometres from Plettenberg Bay in the direction of Knysna (it is part of Hunter’s Country House). You can also head over to Knysna which is famous for its fresh oysters.
Some of these restaurants will need to be booked in advance, so please let us know if you need us to do this for you.
Suggested itineraries featuring Plettenberg Bay
Our itineraries will give you suggestions for what is possible when you travel in Plettenberg Bay, and they showcase routes we know work particularly well. Treat them as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Plettenberg Bay
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Plettenberg Bay
- Knysna 29 kilometers away
- Tsitsikamma Forest 36 kilometers away
- Wilderness 73 kilometers away
- The Klein Karoo 83 kilometers away
- Oudtshoorn & Surrounds 119 kilometers away
- The Cango Caves & Swartberg Pass 129 kilometers away
- Calitzdorp 165 kilometers away
- Port Elizabeth 206 kilometers away
- Addo Elephant National Park 231 kilometers away
- Amakhala Game Reserve 260 kilometers away
- Sanbona Game Reserve 262 kilometers away
- Shamwari Private Game Reserve 262 kilometers away
- De Hoop Nature Reserve 263 kilometers away
- Swellendam 270 kilometers away
- The Eastern Cape Game Areas 279 kilometers away
- Pumba Private Game Reserve 290 kilometers away
- Montagu 301 kilometers away
- Kwandwe Private Game Reserve 314 kilometers away
- The Overberg 327 kilometers away
- De Kelders 373 kilometers away
- Hermanus 382 kilometers away
- The Whale Coast 383 kilometers away
- Franschhoek 392 kilometers away
- The Winelands 405 kilometers away
- Paarl 408 kilometers away
- Stellenbosch 416 kilometers away
- The Cederberg Mountains 431 kilometers away
- East London 438 kilometers away
- Constantia 456 kilometers away
- The Cape Peninsula 456 kilometers away
- Cape Town 456 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Plettenberg Bay
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Plettenberg Bay. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.
Ideas for experiencing Plettenberg Bay
Our specialists seek out authentic ways to get to know the places that could feature in your trip. These activities reflect some of the experiences they've most enjoyed while visiting Plettenberg Bay, and which use the best local guides.