Visit Saint Andrews by the Sea, Canada
Saint Andrews by the Sea, Canada
Saint Andrews — or Saint Andrews by the Sea, as it is affectionately called by locals — enjoys an enviable location on the northern shores of Passamaquoddy Bay, close to the Canadian-US border. Founded in 1783, the town’s port was initially a major Canadian gateway for Irish migrants. It later became one of Canada’s first seaside resort towns when the historic Argyll and Algonquin hotels were built in the late 19th century.
Despite Saint Andrews’ compact size, there are plenty of attractions that continue to draw visitors to the town. Over 140 of the town’s historic buildings remain, many of which are now galleries, boutiques and eateries. Many buildings act as the canvas for huge, bright murals that illustrate scenes of the town and the surrounding area. Saint Andrews’ premier attraction is Kingsbrae Gardens, a sprawling garden filled with over 50,000 plants, flowers and sculptures, and which has garnered a reputation as one of Canada’s landmark public gardens.
Further afield, Minister’s Island — a destination popular with hikers and birders — is easily accessed from the town. At low tide, it is possible to access the island by car, driving along the ocean floor. The former summer home of Franklin D. Roosevelt is also located close to Saint Andrews on Campobello Island, and visitors are able to explore the cottage and grounds and learn more about the presidential family.
Saint Andrews is also considered the gateway to the Bay of Fundy, which is famed for having the highest tides on earth, and for its thriving whale population, which includes humpback, minke and pilot whales. One of the best ways to see these magnificent creatures and learn more about the region’s unique ecology is on a guided whale watching tour from town.
Suggested Saint Andrews by the Sea itinerary
This sample itinerary will give you an idea of what is possible when you travel in Saint Andrews by the Sea, and showcases routes we know work particularly well. Treat this as inspiration, because your trip will be created uniquely by one of our specialists.
Map of Saint Andrews by the Sea
Places & hotels on the map
Places near Saint Andrews by the Sea
- The Bay of Fundy 79 kilometers away
- Saint John 80 kilometers away
- Annapolis Royal 126 kilometers away
- Riverside-Albert 196 kilometers away
- New Brunswick 199 kilometers away
- Lunenburg 229 kilometers away
- Kouchibouguac National Park 255 kilometers away
- West Point 270 kilometers away
- Halifax 278 kilometers away
- Prince Edward Island 322 kilometers away
- Cavendish 326 kilometers away
- Charlottetown 331 kilometers away
- Caraquet 340 kilometers away
- Pictou 346 kilometers away
- Nova Scotia 356 kilometers away
- Eastern Townships 367 kilometers away
- La Malbaie 375 kilometers away
- Québec City 377 kilometers away
- Charlevoix & Saguenay - Lac St. Jean 384 kilometers away
- Spry Point 386 kilometers away
- Liscomb Mills 389 kilometers away
- Charlos Cove 449 kilometers away
- The Gaspé Peninsula 462 kilometers away
- Îles de la Madeleine 470 kilometers away
Accommodation choices for Saint Andrews by the Sea
We’ve selected a range of accommodation options for when you visit Saint Andrews by the Sea. Our choices usually come recommended for their character, facilities and service or location. Our specialists always aim to suggest properties that match your preferences.